Monday, March 14, 2011

Day Two

First of all, sorry for the lack of updates on my cooking extravaganza! It has been an insanely busy weekend full of food, guests, puppies, and antiques (but mostly food). 

For my second night of the challenge (Friday), I decided to make fish tacos from Mark Bittman's book Kitchen Express. Don't be fooled by its "easy recipes in 20 minutes or less" facade. There are a lot of fabulous recipes, but here is the problem: they assume the person cooking them is an experienced chef. Check out how short the recipe is:


Well, as scared as I was (I had never cooked fish before!), I dove in.


Tilapia filets that I washed and patted dry (raw fish=gross),


I then cooked them up with an entire chopped onion, some oil, and cumin. When the fish turned white, I broke it up and let it cook some more. Then my sous-chef Pablo heated tortillas and chopped tomato in the food processor (which is the bomb) and voila! We dished up our tacos and added toppings (cabbage, salsa, tomato, sour cream).


If you're thinking to yourself "those don't look so good", that's because they weren't. Definitely a mediocre meal at best. The main problem was that the limes we bought weren't juicy at all, so we had not citrus on there! And, a big thing we were missing was tomatillo. An essential in this case. 

Anyway, all in all I learned how to cook fish and learned that sometimes certain ingredients are absolute essentials even though they may seem secondary.






No comments:

Post a Comment