Monday, March 14, 2011

Day Four

Sunday was my day to get back on track (I've never been one to "cheat" on Sundays during Lent) and since the boys were cooking up some deer meat for dinner (I figured I'd let them handle that), I was assigned an appetizer. One of my favorite things to eat is bruschetta, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I found this Rachael Ray recipe on the Food Network website, and it was so easy to understand and execute.


I laid out all my ingredients straight away (I'm definitely learning to plan ahead and be prepared): two pints of cherry tomatoes, a teaspoon of red pepper flakes, three cloves of garlic, salt and pepper, basil, and of course, bread. Who doesn't love a carb?

Then, I sauteed the garlic in olive oil, and added the tomatoes and red pepper flakes. I tossed them around a little and then covered the pan (you let them cook like this until all the tomatoes have burst).


In the meantime, the bread is in the oven broiling. You're supposed to char both sides, but for some reason my bread just wasn't getting toasty enough. I figured it was more important to serve the tomatoes hot, so the bread was a little soft. I let everyone add their own basil and I also put out some goat cheese, even though my girl Rachael doesn't include that in the recipe. Here is what the finished product looks like:

I'm not joking when I say I could eat this every day of my life. It was AWESOME. And too easy. And taking a little risk with the bread and the goat cheese worked out really well. This one is definitely going in the recipe box. 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm...... That looks ssssooooo gooood! Maybe melt some cheese on that or somethin ya know? When are you going to cook again? Do you like Racheal Ray or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I could literally eat it every day too. It would be easier to spread some goat cheese on before you add the tomatoes, basil, etc. I hate it when everything falls off of my piece of bread when I make bruschetta!! Also consider drizzling some balsamic vinegar over it.
    Also, you can use that tomato recipe to put tomatoes in pasta, salad, etc. Last night I made a bruschetta recipe and just threw it into some whole wheat pasta instead of putting it on bread. Easy, healthy and yumsauce!
    Miss you girlfriend. xo, Lizy

    ReplyDelete